Pharmaceutical testing is a critical industry that includes services such as analyzing and interpreting samples. Hospitals, for instance, need micro-biology testing and analysis, drug analysis, vaccines analysis, and verification of medical equipment.
Research or Pharmaceutical companies need to conduct multi-stage testing of drugs to comply with FDA (Food and Drugs Authority) Regulations. This independent verification is critical in clinical trials and for obtaining approvals for vaccines and drugs.
On the other hand, manufacturers in the food industry undergo rigorous screening by governments to ensure the safety of consumers. This highlights the need for top-quality testing services to obtain approvals and gain the trust of consumers.
How can companies ensure that they choose the right service provider for pharmaceutical testing services?
Below are some suggestions on how to make the choice properly:
#1 The components of the Team
Testing requires a competent team ranging from micro-biologists, genetics experts, immunologists, food technologists, academic researchers, and biomedical scientists. Depending on the client base, the staff requirements may vary.
The emphasis should be put on the number of scientists and academic researchers because they help improve processes and offer valuable advice.
The website of the company offering pharmaceutical testing services usually contains staff details, including qualifications and experience. Transparency in these aspects indicates trustworthiness and professional ability.
#2. Regulatory Approvals
Government approvals provide a stamp of authority and are a pre-requisite for dealing in products and services concerning public health. If a hospital or University wants to conduct the clinical trial of a new drug, it should only contract with companies vetted by the government.
Some of the vital approvals are:
- Drug Enforcing Agency (DEA) – The Company should have sought and obtained approvals in line with the internal guidelines regarding trafficking and distribution of banned substances.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval- The authority oversees various public health aspects of food safety, drug regulations, supplements, medical devices, and tobacco products.
- cGMP (Good Manufacturing Practices) Approvals- This is also vital for enhancing high-quality standards in the production of drugs, foods, dietary supplements, and medical devices.
Checking government approvals is one way of eliminating the chances of dealing with fake pharmaceutical testing companies. Companies with these approvals are fully vetted by multiple government agencies and this improves the chances of getting quality service.
On the other hand, you’ll benefit from the regular updates these companies receive from various oversight authorities.
#3. Equipment Technology
The tools and technologies used by the testing company are vital criteria for screening possible candidates. Pharmaceutical companies require tools such as cell disruptors, cell harvesting systems, colony pickers, electrophoresis analysis, blood analyzers, laboratory incubators, etc.
Here’s a checklist that can help you probe the ability of a testing service company:
- The variety of equipment – A large pool of equipment is an indication of good experience and solutions that are multifaceted. The risk of further sub-contracting your work is eliminated if the company has the necessary equipment for your task. Your in-house experts can draft a checklist of equipment that the testing service must-have.
- Technology advancement – The uptake of new technologies like cell disruptors—ultrasonic cell disruptor being the latest—helps gauge the testing company’s readiness and reaction to market changes and needs.
Technology is one of the core aspects of pharmaceutical testing. Independent or third-party reviews can help you gauge the ability of the potential candidate for conducting the required testing.
#4. The Human Face of the Company
Though not a core consideration, the people aspect of an organization is important. It helps to operationalize agreements and provides a friendly and humane touch to the work.
Below are some indicators on how to vet a possible candidate:
- Open lines of communication – Companies with functional and displayed phone numbers, e-mail addresses, and social media handles are easy to work with. This is because you may need to give emergency orders, issue amendments to initial instructions, and get feedback on the progress of your order.
- Friendly and Courteous Staff – This helps to enhance the customer experience and smoothens the flow of work. If the staff does not give you a good impression, it can signify other underlying issues that may affect the delivery of your work.
- Online and Customer Feedback – Gathering feedback from past customers can help you gauge their suitability. This can be found from online reviews and by seeking recommendations from peers in the industry.
Bad human face score can help eliminate companies that are level on the technical score.
If you opt to outsource your pharmaceutical testing, the threshold should be high. Government approvals and certifications are a seal of approval that can help you narrow your search.
Apart from evaluating technical capabilities, the human face should also take center stage in the checklist. Ultimately, government standards and consumer quality should guide your screening criteria.