Hey everyone. Today I have a kick-ass interview with a great friend of mine, Neil Patel. That’s how Wikipedia describe Neil:
Neil Patel is a Seattle based entrepreneur, angel investor, and analytics expert. He is best known for his work in digital marketing and as the cofounder of the analytics companies KISSmetrics and Crazy Egg
Neil Patel is also an avid blogger who runs Quicksprout . Today Neil is going to share with us some awesome tips on running a successful business and even some insider tips on blogging.
1. Hey Neil glad to be doing this interview with you today. To start off this interview can we get a little bio about what you do, and what motivated you to start blogging?
My name is Neil Patel and I am an entrepreneur, blogger and marketer. I have co-founder of 2 Internet companies: Crazy Egg, and KISSmetrics. Through these 2 companies he has helped large corporations such as AOL, General Motors, Hewlett-Packard and Viacom make more money from the web.
By the age of 21 not only was Neil named a top 100 blogger by Technorati, but he was also one of the top influencers on the web according to the Wall Street Journal. I started blogging because I wanted to help people out. I know am not that successful, but hopefully you will learn from all of the mistakes I have made.
2. Wow, that’s amazing Neil. We can definitely see you have came a long way as an entrepreneur, your sites are very impressive. What motivates you to keep blogging?
The community on Quick Sprout is what motivates me. Every time I someone leaves a comment or emails me on how grateful they are, I just want to keep on blogging. Also, blogging is my passion. I really love it! I don’t make money from it… hell I would even say blogging is causing me to lose money. But none-the-less, something about it relaxes me.
3. That’s amazing Neil. One of the most important aspects of blogging is to blog about something your passionate about. If you were able to offer only one piece of advice to a blogger, what would it be? And why?
Be consistent. If I blogged on a regular basis at Quick Sprout, my traffic would be double what it is now. I am slowly getting into the swing of blogging on a regular basis, but my traffic isn’t what it used to be. I think it will take a few months before I can get Quick Sprout to the level it used to be.
4. That’s awesome, I’ve dealt with that issue as well. Being consistent with blogging, it can be hard for a lot of bloggers at start. Mind sharing with us a little about your companies CrazyEgg and Kissmetrics?
CrazyEgg is a visual analytics solution that helps you understand how your visitors are interacting with your website. KISSmetrics is an analytics solution that helps you track the people that are visiting your website and what is or isn’t causing them to convert into a paid customer.
5. Real awesome. What advice would you offer to a new entrepreneur wanting to start their first business?
You shouldn’t worry about all the small details in getting started. You just need to “do it” and try and get to profitability as quick as possible. If you worry about all of the small details you’ll find out that you’ll end up wasting a lot of time spinning your wheels. This usually causes entrepreneurs to get frustrated and potentially go back to working at a 9 to 5 job.
6. I agree. Have you ever looked up to someone or modeled yourself to anyone while working online? (You can name more than one person)
Yes, I look up to a lot of people. Here are a few… Andy Liu, Geoff Entress, Elon Musk, Mark Cuban
7. That’s great to have people to inspire you upon your business. What kind of education/learning is involved in creating a successful business online?
For every business it is going to be different. I think you’ll learn along the way and it is going to be hard to prepare for what’s ahead. The best thing you can do is be agile. As for education, it doesn’t really make a big difference. A professor can’t teach you have to run a successful business.
8. Trial & error it seems like. What do you like most about the internet?
The Internet provides companies with the flexibility to have employees work remotely. For example, I am able to work from home everyday.
9. I’m with you on that one. What do you least like about the internet ?
The Internet allows you to find out personal information on almost anyone. Nothing is private anymore.
10. I can agree with that, kinda scary if you think about it. Couple quickfire questions before we end this interview off. Where do you see your companies 2 years from now?
KISSmetrics should be launched by then and hopefully will be doing well. As for Crazy Egg, hopefully the company will be making more money.
11. Awesome. And final question. New years is just around the block, do you have any new years resolutions?
I have one resolution. I want to start blogging more often. For the past few years I haven’t been blogging on a consistent basis and I want to start getting back into blogging a few times a week
You can connect more with Neil by visiting him on his blog at QuickSprout where Neil offers his great tips on blogging, entrepreneurship and more.