In this video, David McSweeney will run you through a process that should help you to quickly identify major SEO issues that may be holding your website back.
All you need is, for sure Ahrefs (along with some other helpful tools), and 15 minutes or less of your precious time! – https://blog.ahrefs.com/seo-audit/
Ok… on to the full process!
0:30 Start a crawl of your site using Beam Us Up tool (http://beamusup.com/), Screaming Frog’s SEO Site Auditor (http://www.screamingfrog.co.uk/seo-sp…) or just access Ahrefs’ own crawl data (Crawl Report) from your Ahrefs dashboard (https://ahrefs.com/dashboard/metrics).
1:00 Go to a site you are auditing. Open up the home page in a browser and view the source to check the fundamental on-page factors: the title tag, meta description, the header H1 tags, subheaders (H2, H3 etc.). Also, perform the same kind of check for site’s internal pages.
3:40 Next, nip over to Google:
– check if the content on your site is unique;
– do a search for the site’s brand;
– take a quick look at where a site currently ranks for the main targeted phrase from its homepage;
– perform a search using the site: operator to find out how many pages Google currently has indexed for the domain.
6:20 Run a few reports in Google Analytics, starting by looking at the site’s current search traffic.
– check the Overview page for the domain to have a quick look at the site’s overall health and link profile;
– anchor text distribution in ‘Anchors Cloud’;
– take a look at the ‘Broken Backlinks’ report under ‘Inbound Links’, which can often be the source of some quick wins;
– finally, have a quick run through the site’s referring domains, to see if anything sticks out as suspicious, or low quality.
12:55 The final step in your audit process will be to test any structured data that the site may contain and ensure it is properly formed using Google’s Structured Data Testing Tool (https://developers.google.com/structu…).
And that is pretty much it: your 15 minute SEO audit is complete!
13:50 You might return to the crawl started initially with Beam Us Up tool and check its report with all the information you can use to clean up your site and get ranking better!