Even though a number of naysayers have claimed that SEO is dead (more than once!), it’s still the number one way to promote your business online today.
There are billions of websites on the web today, so the competition over traffic is very tough and is likely to get only tougher.
SEO will require you to use some of the tools to get it done properly, especially if you’re new at it.
With some of the tools outdated, it’s time to check the best SEO tools in 2017 and use them to improve your rankings.
Ahrefs is a toolset used for SEO that runs on Big Data.
Not only is their Ahrefs Site Explorer one of the best SEO tools for analyzing and monitoring backlinks, but their Content Explorer will also help you search the internet for the most viewed content based on a specific keyword, or a topic.
This will tell you just which content is trending and then you can use that information to your advantage since the content is one of the most important elements of any SEO strategy.
Site Explorer will also let you check which keywords your better-ranked competitors are using, so you can adjust your SEO strategy.
Screaming Frog SEO Spider Tool
Available for both PC and Mac, it can really help you audit your website and get loads of useful data that will significantly improve your website’s optimization.
It will collect data on your pages such as heading tags, page titles, anchor text, links and more. If there’s anything holding your website from reaching the top of the SERPs, this tool will identify it.
What’s great about Moz is that most of the stuff that you’ll need are free, which is really important if you’re running a small business that can’t really afford all the costs of SEO optimization.
Here’s a list of the Moz tools that you can use to stay ahead of the curve.
- MozBar – This is a free Chrome Extension that will show you all SEO metrics easily. You can run a search by region, engine, city and more, which will significantly save you the time when looking for link building opportunities. You’ll also be able to check your PA (Page Authority) and DA (Domain Authority), which are both very important metrics, on regular basis.
- Open Site Explorer – Much like Ahref’s Site Explorer, this tool will help you monitor your backlinks.
- Keyword Explorer – A standard tool for keyword research, it will help you find the best keywords out there for your specific niche.
Most people who try SEMRush stick with it and claim that it’s by far the best SEO tool out there. The best thing about it is that you can research your competitor’s best keywords in more than 20 ways. You just need to enter your competitor’s website URL and SemRush will let you see every last keyword they’re ranking for.
You can also use SEMRush to analyze your own website and find out everything you need to know about the traffic that you’re getting, whether it’s organic or paid. It will show you if your traffic has improved or gotten worse, as well as how you’re currently ranking on search engines with your keywords.
Today, content is the king of digital marketing and it’s only getting more important every year, thanks to Google’s algorithm updates. The fact is, every spelling or grammar mistake that you have in your articles is going to significantly lower its impact on readers who notice it. Mistakes like these on social media are even worse, especially once people start sharing it.
Grammarly is by far the best tool for checking your texts for any potential mistakes. It won’t only highlight any spelling mistakes that you made, but it will also detect if a certain word wasn’t properly used in the written context.
4The free version will let you see any critical mistakes that you’ve made, but the paid version is worth every cent if you really want your texts to be properly written.
As a link analysis tool, Majestic has grown in popularity in recent years and gotten quite the share of the market. Thanks to its CitationFlow and TrustFlow metrics you can easily tell if a website that you’re looking to get a link from is authoritative or not.
You’ll also know exactly who is linking to your website through a Majestic Backlink Analyzer, which crawls the web entirely on its own, without having to rely on third party data.
BuzzSumo is an SEO tool that will let you get a ton of important data when it comes to content. You’ll be able to identify the most shared content on social media platforms, track your competitor’s content, or find the best influencers for your specific niche.
Here’s a breakdown of why you should use BuzzSumo:
- Content Ideas – No longer will you have to hit your head against the wall while trying to think of a topic that you could write about. With the right keywords and the information about content that BuzzSumo will provide, you’ll have a better chance of getting those shares, likes and comments that everyone is so desperately after.
- Find interesting content and share it with your followers – Sometimes, it’s just better to share a great article than to write your own. Anything unique or funny regarding your niche should be the target of your interested, and there’s no better way to get to such content than through BuzzSumo.
- Hire the Best Writers – When you have access to the best-shared articles out there, you’ll also be able to see exactly who wrote those articles. Hiring those writers to write original articles for you is one of the best ways to improve your content strategy.
When it comes to organic search, people tend to forget that there are search engines other than the Big G. YouTube has an insane amount of searches on daily basis and it’s probably the largest content database on the web, with millions of videos uploaded on regular basis.
YTCockpit is by far the best keyword research tool for YouTube and it will let you see the important data for all the videos that are on the top of YouTube’s SERPs.
It’s also worth noting that users are more and more shifting towards videos as content, especially when it comes to mobile devices. No one likes to read a wall of text on their smartphone and that’s a fact.
To Wrap It Up
When it comes to SEO optimization, you’ll need all the help you can get to leave your competitors behind and reach the top of the first page.
Most of these tools are completely free to use, but even those that aren’t are well worth the price, considering how much they can impact your overall SEO strategy.
Be aware that everyone has access to these tools, so it comes down to how effectively you use them to stay ahead of the curve.
Also keep in mind that SEO trends tend to change and with them, some of the tools may lose importance, while some other tools will become a must-have.