Do you want to know how many people visit a particular website?
By learning how to check the website traffic for every site, you’ll be able to take inside from competitors to optimize marketing strategies for your business.
By analyzing the website traffic of a business competitor, you can unearth the total number of visitors and how their traffic changes over time, the keywords facilitating traffic drive, top-performing pages, and the channels through which they receive visitors.
Website traffic-checking platforms allow you to analyze sites’ traffic worldwide. A traffic checker utilizes various resources to gather data, including ISPs, web crawlers, browser extensions, etc.
Now, a lot of data goes into creating a picture of a website’s performance levels. Conversely, a site checker tool can be a worthwhile asset to business growth for websites receiving traffic steadily.
Without further ado, here you’ll find a list of the best tools to analyze website traffic for any site without spending a dime.
Table of Contents
Semrush [read our Semrush review] is an all-inclusive suite of business promotion solutions for online enterprises. This platform can provide robust tools, including SEO audits, content planning, backlink analysis, and ranking tracking.
Besides the report of the organic traffic only, there is also a paid version that estimates all the traffic of a website, including the one from multiple other sources like social media, paid campaigns, referrals, etc.
There’s a Traffic Analytics section of SEMRush with a tool you can use to check competitors’ website traffic.
Now, this platform has a paid version as well as a free version you can use. However, the free version only allows you to view ten traffic overview reports within 24 hours. This tool will unravel total visits, bounce rate, pages per visit, unique visitors, and average visit duration.
Additional traffic reports of Semrush:
- Audience insights will let you see the websites visited by the users of a competitor’s site.
- You will be able to discover how competitors acquire their visitors and pinpoint their top referring sites.
- You’ll also gain insights into what works best for a website with a report of its best-performing pages.
- Finally, the geographic locations drive most of the site’s traffic.
SimilarWeb is a website traffic checker similar to Alexa, except it’s got a lot more detail put into it, so it’s more accurate!
The creators of this traffic intelligence solution built it to provide users with an in-depth analysis of the visitors frequenting a website. Some of the other platforms mentioned here offer a range of marketing and SEO tools. Similar Web, however, focuses only on website traffic analysis.
Whenever you search for a site, you’ll receive insights diving into the following sections:
- The traffic overview section will display global, national, and category-wise rankings for website traffic. It will also provide basic engagement stats, such as average visit duration, bounce rate, pages per visit, and geographic breakdown of traffic.
- The referrals section tells you which websites send traffic to the site and the most popular exit destination – where visitors go after leaving that website.
- The search section offers a detailed analysis of the site’s top-performing organic and paid keywords.
- The social section highlights the social media channels driving the most website traffic.
- The display advertising section showcases a list of the published ad networks used by the website for display advertising.
- The audience section lets you find out every other category the website’s audience deems interesting.
- The competitors section gives you a list of the closest competitors of the website and other similar sites.
Sitechecker Pro is an excellent SEO solution with various tools designed to support business owners in improving their online performance. The most noteworthy features of this platform include Rank Tracker, Site Monitoring, and Backlink Tracker.
However, these features are part of its paid services. This platform can offer you the following:
- It gives you a traffic overview in the form of a graph showing the total traffic volume experienced over the last six months.
- It provides essential metrics worth measuring for site performance evaluation, including overall visits every month, average page visits, average visit duration, and bounce rate.
- The specialty of this particular platform is that it can give you a breakdown of how much and what percentage of traffic a website gets from various nations.
- It will also show you how much traffic comes from every channel, the percentage value of the same, and the total traffic.
- Finally, it can provide you with a list of the top five paid and organic keywords leading visitors to that site.
Ahrefs has been providing excellent website inspection services since 2011. It’s a superb tool that you can use to grow search traffic, research competitors, and keep tabs on your niche. It helps you understand why your competitors rank so high and what you can do to outrank them. Users can create a free account to get details concerning website statistics.
Without a doubt, Ahrefs is one of the best tracking tools I have ever used! This software provides a wealth of website traffic information.
If you resort to the premium plants offered by Ahrefs, you’ll get every detail of every website you can think of. Traffic analysis is possible on this platform with complete data and statistics. The database of Ahrefs has around 240 million keywords used by the people of the US, combined with more than 100 other countries.Try ahrefs seven days for only $7
SERanking [Check our SE Ranking discount] is an SEO solution that has everything required to help users research keywords, track rankings, and inspect the website traffic of every site. As soon as you search for a site on SERanking, you’ll receive a quick overview of its total organic and paid traffic every month.
Besides, there are many other SEO details, like the keywords the site is ranking for. If you go further down on the results page, you’ll find graphical representations of the total traffic received by the site, the ranking keywords, and how they have been progressing over time.
SERanking will also give you a list of the website’s ranking keywords, top-performing pages, and a breakdown of the leading organic and paid competitors.Try Seranking 14 days for free
When it started, Serpstat was just a simple keyword research tool. Today, it has an entire suite of SEO solutions. It can offer users a significantly more comprehensive set of features to help them measure the performance standards of their websites, including rank tracking, backlink analysis, traffic checking, and site auditing.
The results page of Serpstat can provide you with the following insights:
- Show you a list of the paid and organic SEO keywords driving traffic to the site.
- Display the visibility index that measures how often it appears when someone enters relevant keywords in a search engine.
- Provides a line graph showing how the site users’ interest affects the ranking of keywords over time.
- Present a list of pages driving the most traffic to the website from organic search results.
SEO Power Suite
There are four tools in the SEO PowerSuite [Check our SEO Power Suite review]. These four tools cover every aspect of SEO — keywords, rankings, backlinks, on-page and content data, mobile SEO, social media, analytics, and reports.
These four tools that makeup SEO PowerSuite are Rank Tracker for rank tracking and keyword research, WebSite Auditor for on-page SEO and technical audit, SEO SpyGlass for backlink research, and Link-Assistant for link building and outreach.
Using Rank Tracker, you will find a lot of information about the traffic a particular website gets. In the competitor research tab, you will find competitors’ domains, the topic of competitors, and the top pages that rank a specific domain.
The only downside is that you will get traffic estimation only of organic visits (visits from search engines)Try SEO Power Suite for free
Google Ads Display Planner
Google Ads Display Planner, previously called Google ad planner, underwent several changes other than the name. This platform can tell you exactly how much traffic a website gets. Here is a complete guide to Google Ads Display Planer on the KlientBoost blog.
Google AdWords Display Planner combines three different tools: contextual targeting tool, Google Ad Planner, and placement tool. As Google is the largest network, you can expect the most accurate data from it. Google Ads Display Planner is also highly secure – an incredible platform for scrutinizing estimated website traffic.
UberSuggest is another SEO tool crafted to help users perform keyword research, plan content marketing, and inspect competitor website traffic. It has both paid and free versions.
Using the free version, you’ll get only three daily website reports. You can view a website’s traffic just by typing the domain into the search bar on the homepage of UberSuggest.
The results page will give a quick overview of the site’s traffic, including the number of organic keywords the site ranks for and its total organic traffic. You’ll even receive a list of the site’s top keywords and SEO pages.Try Ubersuggest 7 days for free
Website’s MediaKit [Bonus]
As I said at the beginning of this article, the previous tools I’ve presented estimate the traffic a website gets. However, an assessment is what it is. Some of these tools’ reports are far from the truth, while others do not count social media traffic, direct and referral traffic, etc.
The good news is that most blogs and magazines have media kits for advertisers wanting to purchase ads and placements on their websites. One better way to double-check these estimates is to ask the website owner of their media kit.
Here are our traffic details available for advertisers, and on request, we can offer in-depth information.
If the website owners don’t have a media kit, you can tell them you want to advertise with them and ask them about traffic figures. Another method is to ask them if the website is for sale, and if they say it is, you can ask them about traffic figures as part of your due diligence process.
Which Tool to Check Website Traffic is the best?
Rand Fishkin and his great team at SparkToro analyzed 1,000+ websites’ Google Analytics traffic and compared them to estimates from 4 tools: SimilarWeb, Datos, SEMRush, and Ahrefs. You can read the full article here.
Notably, SimilarWeb is the clear winner with one exception: their traffic estimates on small websites (<5,000 monthly visitors according to GA) were the worst.
You should remember that these tools offer you simple traffic estimates, and you shouldn’t take them as certified numbers because there are not.
Crucial traffic metrics
Now that you’ve seen the best tools to determine how much traffic a website gets, you must see what exactly you should look for.
Several important metrics give you an excellent insight into a website’s performance standards and the business’s strategies.
I’ve listed below the metrics you should pay attention to.
Important Traffic Metrics When Analyze a Website:
- Pageviews – It’s the total number of pages viewed by visitors on a website in any given period.
- Unique visitors – The number of people visiting a website at least once in a given period.
- Average visit duration – It’s the average amount of time spent by each visitor on a website.
- Organic search traffic – It’s the number of people arriving at a website searching for relevant information on a search engine.
- Top traffic sources – It’s the list of online channels driving the most visitors to a website.
- Bounce rate – It’s the percentage of visitors leaving a website without exploring more than one page.
Well, there you have it – the top 10 tools for website traffic-checking purposes. The best thing about them is that they’re free to use. However, some of them have specific limitations regarding free usage.
You have to adhere to them and plan your moves carefully. If you find one of these tools better, consider opting for a paid plan to get your hands on the full suite of tools it offers.